Chloe and Chase Reynolds

Chloe and Chase Reynolds

11.12.2012

Appendectomy

So. Trying to update the blog for an entire year was hard. I didn't remember everything, so here are a few more plugs.

I got my appendix taken out this summer. The weirdest day. So Chase and I were staying a couple days on Weber State's campus for the Student Government retreat. (Chase is the Government Relations Director and I am Chief of Staff for WSU Student Association). It was a blast! 100 of us all staying in dorms and staying up toooooo late. The next morning I woke up with a horrifying stomach ache. I told Chase how weird it felt; I wasn't just my stomach, it was my entire abdomen. I couldn't eat anything. I couldn't get comfortable. I ended up writhing in pain on a couch in the bathroom of the Student Union. Gross, I know, but I was desperate. I threw up 6 times between 9 am and 11 am. I kept telling Chase I was fine so he could attend the meeting with Damian Lillard. The sweetest girl, Lesli, found me in the bathroom and would not leave! She refused to believe I was fine. So just when I felt like I was approaching death's door, I went down to the campus doctor and sat there crying for 20 minutes. I caved and called Chase and he came down. He was a little confused because I had been telling him I was fine, then he found me in a doctor's office curled up on the floor bawling. He called my dad, Dad called Dr. Carabine. We all met at Dr. Carabine's house and he examined me. He concluded that I had appendicitis. He headed to the hospital and got a CT scan. The radiologist confirmed it was appendicitis. From radiology we went straight to surgery. The moment I was changed into a gown, they knocked me out. The last thing I remember was the anesthesiologist saying, "Has anyone in your family had problems with anesthesia? There is a possibility of death. UM HELLO. The stuff is already being pumped into my arm! Bad timing doc. Anyway. I was in and out of surgery by I think 4 pm. I am so grateful my dad is a doc and was able to get me in with Dr. Carabine. I didn't worry for a second. I have known Dr. Carabine and his family for 10 years. I trusted him completely. Anyway, when I woke up, I was bawling. I said to my dad who was in recovery with me, "I am not in pain, I just can't stop crying!" And I continued to be a basket case as they wheeled me through the halls to my room. I was told I had to stay over night. Had I known how expensive those rooms are per night, I would have marched out right then! Megan, Jeff and Tony were all there in my room. Mom, Dad, Zach and Ave all came too. Chase slept in a little chair all night so I wouldn't be alone. It was a weird experience. My plan for the weekend was to fly to Las Vegas at 5 to help Lauren move home at 36 weeks pregnant. But that obviously fell through and Sean ended up taking my ticket to help Lauren. I was only in serious pain for about three days, but I couldn't laugh for three weeks without holding my stomach in pain! The day after surgery, I went to Alli Story Allen's wedding. I didn't want to miss it! My mom took me because Chase was at work. After walking in and standing for about 5 minutes, I started to feel like my stomach was contracting and it made me hunch over. I headed for the car and by the time I got there I was talking 5 inch steps, painful steps. Too much too soon! Three months later I have three scars about an inch long each. I am so grateful for modern medicine and for my doctor and my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment