Chloe and Chase Reynolds

Chloe and Chase Reynolds

11.13.2012

The Presidential Election

So, as the semester winds down, it is getting harder and harder to focus. So, blog time. I am going to see how consistent I can be (knock on wood). A big topic that I have yet to discuss is the presidential election that took place last week.

Leading up the to the election, Chase was in charge of an initiative on campus; Voter Registration. He organized people and marketing in order to get as many people on campus registered in time to vote as possible. I am so proud! He did a great job. Little Weber State was kicking but the whole time, up until the very end. SLCC ending up beating us by a hair. Chase and I attended all of the debates and tried to stay informed. We watched 2016 (yes, biased information) and bought Romney shirts. We were 100% Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan supporters. Without too much detail, I am impressed with the past accomplishments of Romney. He is a businessman, not a career politician. It's like my history teacher in high school; Hunna (Mr. Brown) had LIVED the history he was teaching. He had traveled to see and touch and talk and learn, then he came to teach. Mitt has been around the block when it comes to handling lots of money and turning crisis into success (Salt Lake Olympics). Obama, who I respect as the President, did not do a number of things he said he would do in his first term. The deficit went from 4 trillion to 16 trillion. TRILLION. How many is 1 trillion? One trillion seconds is over 31,000 YEARS. Ok, so a lot. A trillion is a lot. Also, I can't stand the ever increasing expectations about how the government is supposed to 'take care' of it's citizens. Handouts are bad. End of story. Though controversial, this is hilarious "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, and he will vote democrat for the rest of his life." Also, I don't agree with Obama's Healthcare Act. I have a huge problem with the healthcare industry being so regulated by government. Take an economics class if you haven't; in a free market economy businesses are allowed success or failure. Supply and demand drives capitalism. Some industries like military and public lands cannot be run by the private sector. But healthcare should be, in my humble opinion, the most perfectly run industry in the world. By allowing doctors to set and advertise prices and success rates, shopping for a physician would be much more possible. Then, crappy doctors would go out of business. The quality of healthcare would improve.  That is only the first snippet of why socialized health care is the pits. Side note; my dad wants to expand his business and Obama's administration has made the impossible. Also, forcing people to buy health insurance? Ya, that will work. *sarcasm*

Anyway, I am sad that Mitt Romney is not going to be president. I felt personally defeated on election night. I shed a tear or two. But am I hunkering down for all hell to break loose?  No. I am grateful for my beliefs that make it so easy to look forward with faith and hope. God is our king, and he guides the happenings of this great nation, even now.

A lot has been said as far as opinions go concerning the results of the election. My favorite summary is this; my seminary teacher from high school posted it on his Facebook after the election...

"I may not agree with the choices made by others, but my allegiance is to God and America, and I will support both. I will support the President in anything good and right that is initiated...and I will pray for him. I will pray for both sides of the aisle to work together for the betterment of the land I love and the protection of the freedoms we all enjoy. Bickering and complaining does not change things, it just festers within oneself and annoys others. I pledge to be a better citizen, neighbor, father, husband, and saint so that I can be a blessing to all I come in contact with. God bless the USA." - Mike Woodbury

The church came out with an official statement here--http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/statement-on-election-result

And finally, I had a talk with my boss Devin at work. He told me about a talk given at church by Matt Godfrey, the last Mayor of Ogden. Matt's talk sited a talk given by President Hinckley in October 2001 conference called "The Times in Which we live". Towards the end, President Hinckley mentions Pharaoh's dream about the seven fat and seven lean kine (seven years of plenty and seven years of famine). EXACTLY seven years later, almost to the day, the stock market crashed and the recession began. So, here we are four years after. Maybe in three more years, something will change for the better. That, my friends, is cool. My hat is off to Matt for doing his duty in researching the words of the prophets to spread hope and faith in God's plan. Life goes on. 



No comments:

Post a Comment