Chloe and Chase Reynolds

Chloe and Chase Reynolds

5.07.2013

I love/hate April

So, let's cut to the chase. April was rough. I guess this is the part where I quit my complaining and focus on all the fabulous messages I heard in General Conference the week before, right?? On April 2nd, I was in a car wreck. I was turning left off of Harrison to go to the last Weber State basketball game. I saw a car coming toward me, but they hit their breaks, and the light was reeeeeeally yellow. So, I turned. The next thing I know, I was stopped dead in the intersection and airbags had deployed on the passenger side of the car. I immediately started crying, of course, and I called Chase. He was already at the game and didn't hear his phone so I left a message. The message sounded like a whimpering 7 year old. A few minutes later, after pulling the cars to the side of the road and calling police, Chase called back and sprinted to the scene. The accident happened about two blocks away from the game, so he was close! I am still sort of bitter about the whole situation; 1) the lady that hit me had two kids in the back of her car that didn't even belong to her. 2) I heard her say to the cop that she hit her brakes to stop, but then she decided to go anyway. 3) I loved my car. 4) Between my ticket for $120 (yes I realize that legally it is my fault because I failed to yield... like I said, still bitter) and the $500 deductible, that was one expensive left turn. 5) I still drive scared... which I hate.

Chase then took a handle of things and called the insurance company's 1-800 number, and it rang for like ten years (strike 1). About an hour after the accident, Geico, the other lady's insurance, called me. One point for Geico. The next morning we called and filed that claim with our insurance company. This was the only straight forward and helpful conversation I had with my insurance people for the entirety of this whole ordeal. I was told I would hear from an adjuster that day. Didn't happen (strike 2). When we did get ahold of her, she was rude, impatient, and extremely hard to contact. The whole process took way too long. I then contacted my agent. I was told to "relax". (strikes 3-99999). Seriously? I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Then, to plop the cherry on top, they valued my car $2,000 below what was correct. They didn't use the right models to compare. I am really glad I did my homework and called them out on the mistake. But when I did, the adjuster got upset with me and suggested I "just settle this". I tell you what, she was messing with the wrong girl. I was very matter-of-fact when I explained to her why I am so dissatisfied with my experience with the company. With that, she adjusted the offer, and things were squared away... no less than three weeks after the accident. Needless to say, we will be switching our auto insurance company, likely to Geico.

As much as April was rough, some really great stuff also happened. For instance, on April 12th, my internship ended (not the good part, I was actually really sad) and I was offered a second internship for this coming January (the good part). I was absolutely ecstatic! After talking to multiple partners at the firm and hoping for an offer, I got it. Wow. I am going to be the first student to be offered a tax internship with Tanner. I am pretty excited! After receiving the offer, I contacted my tax professors to tell them the good news! After thinking things over, I realized that I needed to start the Masters program in the summer, or I wouldn't finish until after the internship next year. That would be no bueno; I am really into getting things done, particularly school, and done quickly. Considering the deadline to apply for summer had already passed over a week prior, I had to very graciously beg for a late application. The professors granted my request; I had two weeks to take the GMAT and apply to the program. That very second, I signed up for the GMAT ($260 bucks later). I downloaded a million different study apps to my phone, and geared for the day; 4 hours of testing that would decided my fate! To be honest, I only studied about 10 hours total. I was also working on wrapping up my classes for the semester. 

April 16th was another doozy. As I sat quietly studying at school, Chase called me...
"Hey Chlo, you probably ought to head home."
"Why?"
"Carl (landlord), just called me. The house flooded."
BOOM. 

When I got to the house, I cried. When I walked inside, I cried. When I saw my favorite leather boots sitting in and inch of water, I cried. Chase had already started called people to come and help us move. Yes, move. We had to get 100% of everything out of the house. We are talking about cleaning out the fridge type moving. Within minutes, the EQP was there with a truck and trailor, Ethen showed up with a truck, and Meg and Jeff and my mom and Zach came to haul stuff. Connie and Tony called from the airport to say they of course would be there to help if there weren't on there way to PARIS!! Lucky! (Those two decided about two weeks prior that they would visit Tony's mission, Paris, and G&G Reynolds in Sweden. Livin the dream!) It took about 3 hours to get everything out of the house and into my mother's garage. (The perks of living in a small apartment!) Then the real boom hit; we get to live with my mother for a month. (Let's be honest, it's not that bad. It's kind of bad, but not that bad). Carl says May 16th is the day we can move back in. Let's hope so. 

Moving forward. April 19th was a big day. My mother turned 48. Happy Birthday Mum! We were able to celebrate by attending a Charitable Chair Auction that the design program at Weber State hosts every year. My mom designed and executed a gorgeous chair that was selected as one of five to be on the live auction (out of 30 other chairs to be on silent auction). Considering it was her birthday, the sibs and I rallied with the my mom's parents to try and buy the chair as the ultimate surpirse birthday present. Any other chair, we would have been able to buy. But my mom's talent is too good to buy I guess! The chair went for $2200, double what the next chair went for, and $700 more than any other chair in the history of the auction had ever gone for. Well done, mother, well done. We bid up to $1950 before we had to quit. I wish we could have kept the chair for our family, but my mom made a great point; she can't get attached to everything she creates. Needless to say, I still cried. So rather than having a family heirloom, we will be going to the Tim McGraw concert in June instead, Yeehaa!!

April 19th was significant in another way; my parents' divorce was finalized. Bitter sweet. Of course, this is not something to ever hope for, but it has been a long time coming and I am happy my parents can move on and be better for what they have learned. It is much better this way. 

Next up, April 25th, the day of the GMAT. I arrived early and began my test with a kick butt essay, and drilled through the four hours of tested like it was my morning cheerios. I walked out with two of the four sections scores hand. I did really well on section four, and I could have done better on section three. The first two sections scores I won't find out about until May 15th. I did score 40 points above my goal, which was a relief.

April 23rd, Zach man turned 16! We went to Rooster's and ate a ton of delicious food in his honor. This kid amazes me. You know what he asked for his birthday? A computer. Normal right? No. He asked for the parts to build a computer! We sat at mom's house and watched him open box after box full of little parts. He proceeded to build a computer in two hours. Two hours! Apparently it's normal for it to take six hours on the first try. Nope, just two. This kid is brilliant. He researched the components for months so he would know what to order. And he did it. It totally works. I am impressed. Happy Birthday big man.

And finally, April 26th, graduation day! I really had a blast. I had lots of support from family. What a fun (long), exciting (drawn out) way to celebrate this accomplishment! I am proud of me, which is a nice feeling. I graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Accounting with a 3.44 gpa. It's not honors, its not a 4.0, but I am happy with it. I am excited to see what I can do in the Masters program.

April 30th, we bought a new car! We got an awesome deal on a 2010 Mazda3 with only 19,000 miles on it! It's a beaut. I love it! And we realized that night that it has swiveling head lights, awesome! And leather. I love leather. So, the month ended on some really great high notes. The month of May better be a little more relaxed, or I might just skip to June. June has always treated me well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment