Chloe and Chase Reynolds

Chloe and Chase Reynolds

7.07.2014

Independence Day

Independence Day! I just love July. So many fun things to do everyday! And it comes in with a bang! This year, we started our long weekend with a visit to Grandpa Merrill's house. We just sat and talked for two hours. I don't do that enough. I love the man, and he won't be here forever. We talked about school, jobs, family, health, and dogs. He is a rock, completely immovable. That night we watched "Monument Men" which I of course slept through. 

The next morning, Chase and I went on a lovely bike ride with the Fowlers. We had no agenda for the day, and I LOVED IT. I love being involved and busy, but every once in a while, the lack of schedule is so pleasant. We really like the Legacy bike path because there are no cars and we can easily bring Hudson along in the bike trailer. Chase and I continued on to Kaysville to the parade. I am most definitely not a parade person, but it was actually really fun! We got to see Chase's cute cousins in the parade, one playing the drums (eh hem, leading the drums) and the other running the security (eh hem, being scoped by all eligible bachelors). We then went to aunt Tiff's for a celebratory BBQ, only to have her whisked away to the hospital to save a life. We also got a chance to go by a lovely little house in Bountiful that is for sale. Uncle Henry is helping us get started on the hunt, although it might be another year before we find/afford what we want. I am excited to start the process of looking! 

That night we went up to Snowbird with my family. "The Steak Pit" for dinner (note the hilarious Father of the Bride line) was yum, but we can talk more about that later. The next morning we watched Zach KILL his bike race! This kid is crazy. He raced his first Semi-Pro division. As in, he is getting paid to race! In the money! He has worked so so hard to get really fit and it is paying off! The course was awesome because we got to see him go by twice on each of four laps, six miles each. Zach's start was perfect, and from the get go, he was leading the Semi-Pro division and only a few PROFESSIONAL riders were in front of him! I mean the kid has only been riding for like a year! He tore it up. He had one crash that set him back a few seconds, and then he had to stop at the feeding station and get his handle bars straightened. Then a lap later, he got a flat and had to borrow a CO2 cartridge from another rider (bless him) who happens to work with my dad (yes, a grown ace man). THEN he lost his tire again! As he was going by the last time before the finish, he yelled, "I need CO2 to finish the last hill!" At that, Zach kept moving, and dad and I ran to the car, grabbed a cartridge, and I took off booking it running the end of the course backwards trying to catch him before he reached the last up hill. My knee might never forgive me, but it was really fun trying to find  him and help him out. I ran about a mile and a half before I got to him and he used the cartridge and took off again. As he pulled away he said, "Thank you so much! Way to use your running skills!" It's the little moments for 15 seconds on a bike path, covered in sweat, that bring siblings together. I missed the finish, obviously, but he won! And when I finally did get back to him, he said it really was vital that he get a cartridge. In fact, he was going to get off his bike and would have had to carry it for the last up hill mile with a completely flat tire had I gotten to him any later. He is a stud, and I had fun playing pit crew. I can't wait to see where he is next year. Europe world cup maybe??

And so the rest of the weekend, we all got to relax up at Snowbird. It's nearly as much fun in the summer as it is in the winter! Alpine slide, sky coaster, the tram, the pool, and sun! And it isn't too often that the whole crew gets two whole days together. And when we do, there's nothing better. 

Finally, Chase and I got home early Sunday night and watched The Pianist, a movie my dad gave to my for Christmas. He is a real history buff, especially war time stuff. This movie is not for the weak. It made me feel sick and cry. But the reality of WWII is that people suffered. The kind of suffering that is not even real in my world. Nothing will make you appreciate what you have like imagining life without it. So, happy Independence Day. I am so grateful for my freedom to walk, talk and dress how I want. To work and study and live where I want. To worship how I want and not be discriminated against based on my genetics, my beliefs, or my heritage. I am so grateful for my grandfathers, and all those who have fought and worked and sacrificed to create the world I live in. I pray everyday, though, that my husband and my sons never have to go to war. God bless America. 

No comments:

Post a Comment