Chloe and Chase Reynolds

Chloe and Chase Reynolds

8.26.2014

Sharing the News

I had envisioned this moment for a long time. I thought maybe I would plan something thoughtful to tell Chase he was going to be a dad. I thought I would wait a while to tell anyone, even family. But little did I know! It's hard to think about anything else really, once you know. I told Chase immediately (see previous entry). I told my doctor and my insurance company the following day (after two tests, to be sure) so I could schedule appropriate appointments and ask some questions. And Friday, the secret became harder and harder to keep. I know, two whole days. We went up to Ogden for a BBQ with some friends, and went to a movie with Chase's parents after. Chase and Tony had a tee time the next morning so we stayed the night at their house. That night, sitting around chatting, they told us a funny story about a friend who sent a text to Connie to announce their baby baby's due date. So... for lack of patience, about ten minutes later, Chase sent a text to Tony that read "April 30, 2015." Tony didn't look at his phone for a while, but when he finally did, Chase and I were in the hallway. "Chase, what does April 30, 2015 mean?" Chase and I looked at each other not knowing what to say. Chase grabs a bag we brought and hands it to Connie as Tony says, "Are you expecting?!" At that Connie lost all control and shakes as she tries to open the bag. A long time ago I broke down and bought a swaddle blanket for a future babe, and we were going to give it to them as the announcement. Needless to say, that blanket will probably stay at their house for the next 8 ish months!

The next day, I got to pick Avery up from the Salt Lake Airport. She was in a hurry to get to Provo for practice, so I wanted to tell her on the drive to her car. We talked about her trip with the soccer team and she ended with, "I'm happy."
"Do you want to be even happier?" At that she put her hand on my shoulder and said , "No way."
"April 30th!" And she wrapped her arms around me and cried. I love having her as my sister. She just knows.

The next day we went up to Heber to watch Zach race his mountain bike. He had been sick the day before but still road really well! After the race, the Fowlers had to go so Chase and I walked to the car with them. "Lauren, don't let me forget to borrow your carseat tonight. I need to see if it fits in my car... "(She knew we were trying so she didn't really react)..."Because we are going to need one. In April."
"ARE YOU PREGNANT???" Followed by scream, hug for five minutes, and lots of tears. I hope I am a mama just like Lauren.

Unbeknownst to me, Chase had told Sean earlier that morning. "I HAD to tell someone!"

Later in the afternoon, Zach and Mom were done with his race stuff and we were by the car snacking. Mom opened a package of peanut M&Ms and said, "Aren't these the best?" And I said, "That's about how big our baby is," rather casually. My mom turned to me and grabbed my arm and kind of stuttered, "Are...are you... are you pregnant?" Half way through her question I smiled, and she screamed, practically did the splits, threw her hands in the air, wrapped them around me, and did that side to side mom-hug thing that I love. And of course, a dance party in the parking lot followed. Zach pointed to Chase and said, "You're going to have a baby!" So matter of fact, and it sounds so good!

On Monday, I finally saw my dad who had been out of town. After Avery's soccer game Dad was about to leave and I walked with him as he put his arm over my shoulder and said, "Are you stressed?" "No.... I'm pregnant." With that he let out a "Ahhhhhhhhh!" and wrapped his other arm around my head and walked with me kind of in a head lock, for lack of a better description. "Wow, well is that a good thing ooooooor a bad thing?" "Dad! It's a good thing!" "Well congrats! It's number three! Like a hat-trick!" "Now Dad, it's a secret for a while, ok?" "Oh no way, I'm going to post it!" "DAD!"

Tuesday, we were headed to Whitney Green's birthday party, so we had Jeff and Megan over for dinner beforehand. While Chase was blessing the food, I nudged him and then nudged him again, and (understanding what I meant) he said, "And please bless the baby to grow healthy and strong." I peeked my eyes open and Megan was staring right at me smiling. AMEN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment